The shortage of freight train luggage wagons at DB in the mid-1950s led to the development of the Pwghs 54 based on the Gms 54. On the one hand, this avoided the expense of a completely new design, and on the other hand, the wagons could simply be converted into normal G-wagons. The Pwghs 54 corresponded to the Gms 54, but did not have its loading and ventilation gaps. Instead, the car was equipped with a driver's compartment and toilet as well as a front door that was accessible via the brakeman's platform. 1200 copies were built. After commissioning, some of the Pwghs 54 were used for express freight traffic, recognizable by the large E on the sides of the car. Other cars were used on branch lines and on the car train to Sylt. From 1970 onwards, over 700 Pwghs 54s that were no longer needed were converted to Gls 205. The increasing use of diesel and electric locomotives made the use of the accompanying car for the staff superfluous. Up until the end of the 1990s, however, DBs were still using wagons on branch lines and as support vehicles for LÜ shipments; some other vehicles have survived in private companies as workshop and support vehicles to this day.
The model railroad Union N gauge models of the Pwghs 54 cars are characterized by detailed design and printing. Country-specific abbreviations and various addresses are also taken into account. Changes compared to the Gms 54 trolleys such as the door on the front, windows, door sills and drainpipes characterize the models. The cars have an interior with a driver's compartment and toilet. All models have close coupling links and NEM coupling pockets. Each company number appears in an edition of 200 copies. The LüP is 6.9cm per car.
- NEM coupling pockets
- Close coupling link
- Standard N couplings
There are more interesting photos and information in our DM-Toys blog by Klaus Kosack