The lack of freight train baggage wagons at the DB in the mid-1950s led to the development of the Pwghs 54 based on the Gms 54. This avoided the expense of a completely new design and also allowed the wagons to be easily converted into normal G wagons. The Pwghs 54 corresponded to the Gms 54, but did not have its loading and ventilation gaps. Instead, the car was equipped with a driver's compartment and toilet as well as a front door that was accessible via the brakeman's platform. 1200 examples were built. Some of the Pwghs 54 were used for express freight after they were put into service, recognizable by the large E on the sides of the car. Other cars were used on branch lines and on the car train to Sylt. From 1970, over 700 Pwghs 54s that were no longer required were converted to Gls 205s, and the progressive use of diesel and electric locomotives made the use of escort cars for the staff superfluous. Up to the end of the 1990s, however, cars were still used by the DB on branch lines and as escort cars for LÜ shipments, and other cars have survived in private companies as workshop and escort cars, some of which have survived to this day.
The model railway Union gauge N models of the Pwghs 54 cars are characterized by detailed design and printing. Country-specific abbreviations and different addresses are also taken into account. The models are characterized by changes compared to the Gms 54 wagons, such as a door on the front side, windows, door sills and a drainpipe. The carriages have an interior with a driver's compartment and a toilet. All models have a close coupling link and NEM coupler pockets. Each company number appears in an edition of 200 copies. The LüP is 6.9 cm per car.
- NEM coupler mounts
- Short coupling backdrop
- Standard N couplings